Featured image at top: Fr John Joseph Therry (painting by Paul Newton)
This ‘history’ of the parish was undertaken at the time of the celebration of the parish centenary. The title is The Church by the Rocky River – St. Mary’s Corowa 1878 – 1978. It was written by Mr A.T. Roddy, B.A. and was ‘wholly set up and printed by Speciality Press (Albury) Pty. Ltd.’ It is reproduced here with minor editorial changes. (Click on each Chapter to open the text).
The web manager has taken the liberty to add website links within the text and new photographs and images that add interest to the parish history, confident that A.T. Roddy would have done the same had they been available in 1978.
. . .
Chapter 1 – Catholicism Comes to Australia
Chapter 2 – Yass is made a Parish
Chapter 3 – Settlement along the Murray River
Chapter 4 – Goulburn has a Bishop and Corowa has a Church
Chapter 5 – The Missionary District of Corowa
Chapter 6 Early Pastors and a Brush with Bushrangers
[Ned Kelly and gang at Jerilderie]
Chapter 7 – The Days of Father Hickey
Chapter 8 – Corowa’s New Church
Chapter 9 – From Father Hickey to Father Lane
Chapter 10 – Three Country Churches are built
Chapter 11 – The Sisters of Mercy and Education
Chapter 12 – Monsignor Lane as Parish Priest
Chapter 13 – Wahgunyah Catholicism and the Mass Tree