“A Place at the Table”
SOCIAL JUSTICE IN AN AGEING SOCIETY
The 2016 Social Justice Statement should be of particular interest for our Corowa Mass goers, because its focus is on Ageing and on the social justice challenges that face Australian society with its rapidly growing ageing population.
Our love is expressed as we all share from the one table…
Pope Francis, himself an elderly citizen of God’s world, gently chides us with his story of the two tables, one large for the healthy young, and one to keep the grandparent out of sight.
The communal table is infused with ordinary life. It is a reminder of all the meals lovingly made and gratefully consumed, disputes and reconciliations, endless cups of tea, homework and letters written and read.
The image of the one table presages the promise of the ‘feast of rich food’ and wines brought alive in the poetry of the prophet Isaiah [25:6-9]. Yet as we all gather at the one table we are invited to recognise the bounty that has already been laid for us to share. In particular the elderly carry these things in their hearts, and join them into our Eucharist.
In Australia we face a threefold challenge when we work to give older Australians their rightful place at the table:
- We must do all we can to ensure that they continue to participate in the heart of community life.
- We must protect the frail and vulnerable and respect and celebrate their inherent dignity.
- Finally, we must all stand in solidarity and ensure that every one of God’s precious people has a place at the table of life.
Access the full Social Justice Statement here.
*MINISTERS ASSOCIATION Monday 26th September, 12 noon, at Chocolate Factory
*FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING Tuesday 27th September, 5.30pm, in Presbytery.
*BALLDALE MAJELLAN MEETING Wednesday 28th September, 12.30pm, at Easdown House, Sanger Street. All welcome.
*WRAP WITH LOVE Monday 3rd October 9.30am in St Mary’s Hall
* MEN’S CURSILLO Renewal Weekend Thurs 13 Oct – Sun 16 Oct. at Royal Hotel Ganmain. 6.30pm start. Cost: $140. Contact: Peter Jansen 60401130.
* RETREAT – Women & Men Fri 14 Oct 5pm – Wed 19 Oct 2pm at Galong Retreat Centre. Cost $675. Contact: Sr Margaret Walsh 0429171400, or email@example.com.
* C.A.R.E. VIDEO SCREENING documentary on the CAMINO pilgrimage way in Spain. Commentator: Sir Richard Attenborough. Sun. 16th October 2.30pm at Corowa Uniting Church. Light supper to follow in the hall. All welcome.
COUNSELLING at St Mary’s
Wednesdays 10am Group Parenting Course
Wednesdays 2pm Anger Management at St Mary’s Presbytery rear flat. Run by Centacare and Sisters of Mercy. Ph. 0448772010. Also available: Literacy & Numeracy courses, and Financial Planning for Families.
* Nora Kingston, 24 Alfred St ph. Wed 4.30pm
* McLean’s, 5a Lindsay St., Wed 5.30pm
* Karinya chapel – Sundays 11am
* St Mary’s Church, Sat 8.45am+ 9am Mass
Remember in Prayer
Frances Garvey, Rose McMillan, Lillian Donald, Maxine Potter, Stefan Svarc, Faye Lovie, Frank Murphy, Frank Tuck, Doris Robinson, Jenny King, Anne Kingston, Shannon Elmore.
MASS INTENTIONS 24th Sept – 1st Oct
6.30pm (Ray Currie, Alma Fitzgerald)
Sun 25th SOCIAL JUSTICE SUNDAY
9.00am Mass (For all Parishioners)
Mon 26th Sept
9am M (Frances Garvey, Rose McMillan)
Tue 27th St Vincent de Paul
9am M (All Vinnies Members & Volunteers)
9am M (Norm Collins, Mary Hodgkin)
Thurs 29th Sts Michael, Gabriel & Raphael
11.40 Nov. & M. (Anne Kingston & CWL Members)
Fri 30th St Jerome
9am M (Frank Murphy, Shannon Elmore)
Sat 1st Oct St Therese of the Child Jesus
9am M (Frances Hanrahan, Faye Lovie)
6.30pm (Mark Fitzgibbon, Mona hart)
LITURGY ROSTER for 1st & 2nd October
6.30pm N Kingston M Carroll
9.00am Drum Fm
6.30pm J Schnelle J Lowden
9.00am A Campbell
6.30pm K O’Halloran M Skehan
9.00am A Pilgrim K King
Altar: M Campbell
6.30pm L Hanrahan
9.00am A Pilgrim
6.30pm E Tidd
9.00am Z Rippingale
Collection: B O’Shea
Counters: Tuesday M Kelly
THE JOURNEY CATHOLIC RADIO PROGRAM – AIRS 25 SEPTEMBER 2016
This week The Journey Catholic Radio program will bring you a reflection from the Gospel of Luke by Fr Stephen Varney, amazing music from great artists and wonderful inputs from the likes of Fr Dave Callaghan MGL, Trish McCarthy in Milk & Honey, Sr Hilda Scott OSC and Sam Clear in Walking the Walk. Tune into LIFE 101.9 FM or 98.5 THE LIGHT Albury Wodonga Sun 11am or go to www.jcr.org.au or www.itunes.jcr.org.au where you can listen anytime and subscribe to weekly shows by email.