‘Mary has chosen the better part.’
The Spiritual Works of Mercy
In this Holy Year of Mercy, we reflect on both the Corporal & Spiritual Works of Mercy.
SPIRITUAL WORKS OF MERCY
1. INSTRUCT THE IGNORANT
All of us are ignorant about something! E.g. I can’t fix my car when it breaks down. And some people don’t know Jesus or his Mother Mary, or the Catholic Church. We can teach them because we know; but teach with love, like Jesus.
- COUNSEL THE DOUBTFUL ‘Counsel’ is to give advice or help and ‘doubtful’ means you are not quite sure about something. So when a friend asks you if God really knows everything, or if Jesus loves us, you can tell them, ‘Yes! God does know everything and Jesus loves everyone.’ Doubting is not bad, it means thinking and wondering.
- ADMONISH SINNERS ‘Admonish’ means to ‘warn’ a person, and ‘sinners’, well, those are people who commit sin… i.e. all of us! Sometimes we may notice someone doing the wrong thing, being mean, lying, or stealing. Invite them to do the right thing, not the wrong thing.
- COMFORT THE SORROWFUL When someone is sad, try to make them feel better. This usually takes time to listen, or time to smile, or a moment to offer a small gift. It is not hard, but often we are too busy, or is it selfish (?) Take time to share your love.
- BEAR WRONGS PATIENTLY ‘Bear’ means deal with wrongs or hurts, and ‘patiently’ means we don’t get angry or yell, or try to ‘get back’ at the person. If we do this we may discover the person was not being mean on purpose. …They might be having ‘one of those days’. If you are nice, it will help them.
- FORGIVE OFFENSES WILLINGLY This is like number 5, but goes further – we should forgive the person. That means we do not hold onto what happened, but let it go, so that we can be friends again.
- PRAY FOR THE LIVING AND THE DEAD Prayer is a most important tool: It helps us know God, and it teaches us to go to God first, because he will always help us and wants what is best for us. Pray every day for the people you love, and even those you don’t know. (Deanna Bartalini, Catholic Weekly, 10.07.2016, p. 13)
*18th July – School resumes
*21st July Thurs 1.45pm CWL MEETING in Presbytery Meeting Room
*24th July Sunday – 10am-12noon ST MARY’S PLAYGROUP OPEN DAY – New families and children welcome. Entertainment – bouncy castle – and fun for all, including a sausage sizzle lunch and cake stall.
*25th July 9.30am in St Mary’s Hall WRAP WITH LOVE
*27th July Wed. 3.45pm CATHOLIC SUPER SEMINAR – At Galen College, Wangaratta
*28th July Thurs 3.45pm CATHOLIC SUPER SEMINAR – at Commercial Club ‘Stanley Boardroom’, Albury.
*Fri 5th August 7pm at Wagga RSL Club: SERRA ANNUAL FUNDRAISING DINNER $50 per ticket. Pre-paid tickets essential. Ph: Dom Morton 0429 961 943 or Di Kennedy 0428 217 769. Guest speaker: Fr Morgan Batt, who was Parish Priest of St John’s Richmond & Port Arthur, Tasmania, during the time of the 1996 massacre. He was awarded the Service Medal for his work.
COUNSELLING at St Mary’s
Wednesdays 10am Group Parenting Course
Wednesdays 2pm Anger Management at St Mary’s Presbytery rear flat. Run by Centacare and Sisters of Mercy. Ph. 0448772010. Also available: Literacy & Numeracy courses, and Financial Planning for Families.
* Nora Kingston, 24 Alfred St ph. Wed 4.30pm
* McLean’s, 5a Lindsay St., Wed 5.30pm
* Karinya chapel – Sundays 11am
* St Mary’s Church, Sat 8.45am+ 9am Mass
Remember in Prayer
Frank Tuck, Ken Macqueen, Doris Robinson, Jenny (Hanrahan) King, Bernice Chetcuti, George Cole, Ken Boxall, Anne Kingston, Shannon Elmore, Henry Kingston, Arthur Collins, Carmel Talbot, Betty Griffin.
MASS INTENTIONS 17th – 23rd July
6.30pm (McDevitt, Murphy & Walsh fms)
9.00am Mass (For all Parishioners)
9am Mass (George Cole, Marj Strachan)
No Mass today (Clergy Conf. Wagga)
No Mass today (Clergy Conf. Wagga)
11.40 Nov. & M. (Len & Claire Forrest)
Fri 22nd St Mary Magdalene
9am M (Presti & Borhi fms)
9am M (Patricia Freeman, Andrew Bush)
6.30pm (Jenny King, Roy & Pat Potter)
LITURGY ROSTER for 23rd – 24th July
6.30pm O’Halloran family
9.00am Svarc fm
6.30pm D Forge
9.00am B & E Christy
6.30pm D & A Norman
9.00am D Collins M Tomlinson
Altar: M Doyle
6.30pm D & E Clohessy
9.00am T Moroney
9.00am Zara Rippingale, Victoria Kreun
Collection: Matt Drum
Counters: Laurie & Nancy Hughes
THE JOURNEY CATHOLIC RADIO PROGRAM – AIRS 17 JULY 2016 – Episode 153
In a fantastic episode of The Journey, Fr Stephen Varney (Shellharbour, NSW) returns to reflect on the Gospel of Luke, and Sr Hilda shares a wonderful story. We also hear from Byron & Francine Pirola, Bruce Downes The Catholic Guy, Pete Gilmore, and Sam Clear, and have fantastic music as always!
Visit www.jcr.org.au or www.itunes.jcr.org.au where you can listen anytime and subscribe to weekly shows by email. Got friends or family who you’d like to hear this show ever week? All you’ve got to do is send them this email and they can subscribe by clicking here.