ST. MARY’S PARISH, COROWA
Diocese of Wagga Wagga N.S.W.
Fr. Paul Hart. P.P.
2nd March 2014
23 Parade Place, P.O. Box 69, Corowa 2646.
We honour the traditional owners of this land, the Kwat Kwat peoples and the Wiradjuri Nation
St. Mary Mackillop, pray for us
Diocesan Provident Fund
P.O. Box 4 Wagga Wagga 2650,
Ph. 02 6937 0099 or firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Sunday in Ordinary Time
OUR THOUGHTS FOR THIS WEEK – WHEN LENT BEGINS
“You Have Set Us Free”
Lent begins on Wednesday!
Will you do something extra for Jesus during Lent? Choose one – or several – of these:
- Will you fast each day like our grandparents did? [Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset all through the month of Ramadan.]
- Will you attend an extra Mass each week, when possible?
- Will you give generously to the annual Caritas Lent Appeal?
- Will you call on a neighbour to see how they are coping after a recent bereavement?
- Will you reach out to that person in your family whom others avoid?
- Will you call up a relative who is house-bound or blind?
- Will you attend the Stations of the Cross on Friday evenings to reflect on and accompany Jesus in His journey to execution?
- Will you try to attend the Thursday Novena to add a prayer to Mary to your Lenten observance – for that special intention that seems to need an extra ‘push’?
- Will you make an effort to observe “no meat on Fridays” – as a reminder that Lent is the time when some form of penance can bring us closer to the sufferings of Christ and can be a purifying force in our spiritual lives?
- Will you bring a neighbour to Mass who does not drive and who finds it difficult to get there?
- Will you spend some time visiting Jesus truly present in the Blessed Sacrament, knowing our church is open every day from 8am to 6pm?
- Will you do some spiritual reading from books that can challenge and deepen your spiritual life?
- Will you open your Bible and prayerfully read through the Passion of Jesus in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, accompanying Him and learning about the meaning of your own sufferings?
- Will you offer up your aches and pains – who doesn’t have any? – in union with Jesus’ sufferings?
- Will you put out the garbage ‘wheelie bins’ for your elderly neighbour?
- Will you attend the Lenten Tuesday evening 7.30pm [or, more recently added, Thurs 10.15am] “You have Set Us Free” discussions in the parish at the presbytery?
Every act of love for God and neighbour prepares us for the moment when He will call us from this life. This Lent enrich your life with prayer, almsgiving and good works.
Parish Events 02nd – 07th March 2014
6.30pm Mass (Marj Strachan; Ken Hughes)
Sunday 2nd 8th Sunday in Ordinary time
9.00m Mass (pro populo – for all parishioners)
9.00am Mass (Gillian Spencer & Family)
Priests’ Pre-Lenten Lunch at St Mary’s
9.00am Mass (Fitzgibbon, Crisfield & Regan fms)
7.30-9.00pm Prayer & Scripture “You Have Set Us Free” discussions – presbytery
8.00am Mass (Ginnivan, Maher & Fitzpatrick families)
12 Noon Mass (Bev O’Brien)
11.00am Holy Communion to Homes
12.00n Mass (Susanne Knight; John Hanrahan)
10.00am Mass Karinya (for the Sick)
11.00am Holy Communions to Homes
7.30pm Stations of the Cross
Saturday March 8th
8.45am Rosary & Mass (Martin Dickens; Marj Strachan)
6.30pmVigil Mass (Marj Regan; Irene Cavanagh)
Sunday 9th March – 1st Sunday of LENT
9.00am Mass (pro populo)
10.45am Coreen Mass
* * *
Remember in Prayer
Recently Deceased: John Skehan, John Hanrahan, Fr Ralph Fitzgerald, Nicole Collins, Mary Sterrett, Marj Fern, Sr Anne (Monica) Gale, Leonie Macpherson, Mick Fitzgerald, Suzanne Knight, Patricia Seymour, Frances Hanrahan, Alan Whitty
* * *
Roster 8th – 9th March
6.30pm O’Halloran Family
9.00am Svarc Family
6.30pm E Kingston J Lowden
9.00am P & B Ridge
6.30pm T Drum J Lowden
9.00am K Flower K King
Altar M Campbell
6.30pm D & E Clohessy
9.00am T Moroney
6.30pm P Blain & M Blockley
9.00am H & E Tidd
6.30pm Des Doyle
9.00am T Moroney
Counters: A & M Campbell
Looking for volunteers to teach Primary School scripture (3 in Central & 3 in South Corowa) contact Fr Hart, or Debbie Francis on 60330414
* * *
WORLD DAY OF PRAYER
10.00am Friday 07th March at St Andrews
* * *
CANONISATION PILGRIMAGE TO ROME
April 22-30, 2014
Fr Tom Casanova of Wagga Diocese will lead a pilgrimage to attend the Canonisation of Popes JP II and John XXIII. $4,500 twin share. Contact: email@example.com